I talk about my issues with acne a lot. I’ve had hormonal cystic acne consistently for the longest time and it’s been my biggest insecurity.
People have always asked me:
Why are you so quiet?
Why don’t you ever go out?
Blah. Blah. Blah.
Most of the time, I struggled with even looking people in the eyes. I hated feeling like whoever I was talking to was just staring at my acne.
Thankfully, with some lifestyle changes and finding some amazing products, my skin has cleared up a lot.
1. Cut out ALL dairy. Milk has a crazy amount of hormones that contribute to acne. I rarely even eat pizza and that’s my favorite food. Vegan pizza just isn’t the same.
2. DRINK WAAATTTTEEEERRRR. Seriously. Drink so much water. I drink 40oz of water when I workout and I try to drink at least half a gallon in an average day. But that doesn’t always happen and I notice that I break out a lot more when I’m not getting enough water.
3. Exercise regularly. Exercise is a huge factor in preventing breakouts because it helps get rid of stress. Stress is one of the biggest causes of acne in most people.
4. Stick to a healthy diet. Sugars, fried food, soda, bread, and all your favorite food are not going to help your skin. (I’m sitting here eating kettle corn right now lol.)
I was always terrified of trying Accutane because of its side effects so I went on birth control when I was 15, which had a lot to do with minimizing my breakouts.
1. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser ($14)
I can’t live without this face wash. I use it morning and night. This face wash works better for me than most high end facial cleansers.
2. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant ($57)
This exfoliant works best for me because it’s gentle but effective. It’s on the pricier side but so worth it.
3. Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion ($17)
This is my fav toner because it has salicylic acid that absorbs into your skin and can easily be worn under makeup.
4. Clinique Moisture Surge ($40)
I use this moisturizer every day. I love it because it’s non-allergenic so it’ll never break you out.
5. Tea Tree Oil – The Body Shop ($10)
I love using tea tree oil as a spot treatment when I’m breaking out. I’ll put it on at night and when I wake up the next morning, the breakout will be gone or almost gone.
6. Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Gel ($18)
This gel is the salicylic acid spot treatment that I use but any salicylic spot treatment could work the same.
I would normally add a serum and face mask into my skincare routine, but I haven’t found any that i’m in love with. I’d love recommendations though!
Since starting esthetician school, I learned that NO ONE’S skin is the same. Someone with acne can recommend a product to someone else with acne but it could have the complete opposite effect because skin is like a fingerprint.
I’ve seen several dermatologists without seeing any results with my skin. Everyone has a different experience, but every time I saw a new dermatologist, they would take one look at my skin and prescribe me a new spot cream that was never effective. I noticed a difference in my skin when I started seeing an esthetician who recommended the life style changes and products I use now. I highly recommend finding a good esthetician if you have stubborn skin like mine.
Over a long period of trial and error, I found that these lifestyle changes and products are what work for me and I really hope that they can help someone else too!